Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Teacher's Desk

So I'm always fascinated by how teachers use - or don't use - their teacher desk. I have seen hundreds of classrooms and have found that it's probably about 50/50. I am a desk-loving lunatic. I need to have my own space (with drawers!) to keep and organize all of my precious little materials. I also like having a space that's kid-free (with the occasional lucky student who gets to sit there during library center).

So I'm going to give you the low-down on my desk. Let's start with the surface: I am a big supporter of minimalist style - especially in such a hoarder-filled profession. I keep my desk clean and ready to go every single day! It's much easier to keep your space clean.




Here is the breakdown for each part of the my desk surface:


My file holder, paper bin, and monthly calendar are all from Target. They are a simple cardboard design with a brown and chevron pattern on the inside. I have discovered that having a monthly desk calendar, along with my gold polka-dotted planner (pictured in the paper bin), force me to write down important meetings, etc. more than once - which helps me remember!


Some people think I'm crazy because I have had the same pens, pencils, sharpies, etc. for years. But it's because I always return them to my pencil cup! It just makes sense to me to keep track of your supplies so that you're not constantly trying to find something to write with. I also instill this habit in my kids and you would be amazed at how organized second graders can be.


I like to keep my intervention materials right at my fingertips so I can quickly call students back to work on those specific skills. Currently I have:
  • Targeted skill/leveled text
  • Squishy balls for sensory and motor skill development
  • Checklists that remind students of their best behavior
  • Word bags with high frequency words
I also have an intervention plan folder - I will dedicate an entire post to how I manage my interventions and using the fabulous and amazing instructional assistants that I have the pleasure to work with!




Like most teachers, I have a marker/pen/writing utensil obsession. I keep them organized by type in these great little baskets. I also have index cards, mini composition books, thank you cards (SO useful to have in your desk!), stickie notes, our Braggin' Dragons (schoolwide PBIS incentive).


Something I learned along the way - have gum, toothpicks, chapstick, and lotion in your desk. You need these things after lunch. You do NOT want to sit through an important meeting with a piece of spinach in your teeth... not that I have done that or anything... the shame.


I hope that this gave you some ideas for organizing or using your teacher's desk! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments :

Post a Comment