Wednesday, March 11, 2015

How I Write Sub Plans

So - a little history lesson: I was a substitute teacher for five years before I got my permanent teaching position. Five wonderfully enriching years (there are a lot of perks!) being a substitute will teach you a lot about teaching. I would consider my time subbing more valuable than any teaching course I could have taken in undergrad. The experience taught me a lot about classroom management, planning, room setup, what works, and what doesn't.

There's a lot that doesn't work.

But after five years of subbing you really get an idea of what sub plans are amazing, helpful, and fabulous! So I have tried to combine all of the things I love (organization, procedures, obvious solutions) and eliminate all of the things that drive me freaking crazy (missing items, vagueness, too much information). I think I have struck the optimal balance and so I would love to share what I have learned with you!

The Basics
  • Make it easy to find and understand. If your plans are a loose piece of paper amongst many loose pieces of paper then your substitute will probably overlook them. Don't make it a scavenger hunt, okay?
  • Include a schedule for many different types of days: early dismissal, two-hour delay, etc.
  • Keep your normal routines in place! It will make things so much easier for everyone.
  • Do not rely solely on students to get things done as in: the kids know what to do. This is a great idea in theory but I remember many times as a substitute when I asked the class a question and they stared at me like I was speaking in a foreign language. Not good for anyone.


I recently opted for a binder to house all of my substitute materials but a folder or basket works just fine as well. Just have everything together in some way!
 

I have different sections that you will see in the pictures they are very self-explanatory. If my lessons include worksheets or books I include them in a neat pile next to the binder. I label everything. Not because I don't trust the substitute - on the contrary! My own experience tells me that labeling is a good thing, it works okay? Don't question it.

* Totally just noticing my typo on the page below, and reprinting now... *


In the interest of being helpful I also include a hot pink sticky note marking the section with the actual lesson plan for today.


Here is an example of the first page of one of my sub plans.




My actual plans are broken down my time blocks (not pictured). Keep it simple! I also do not believe in changing up my entire schedule and abandoning routines while I am out. I keep things like I would any other day - just simplified. * If your kids know routines really well then they should be able to function without you for a day! *



Put a couple of simple lesson ideas in the back, just in case! You just never know how much another teacher will get through with your kids. It pays to be prepared!

I hope this was a helpful post about creating plans. If you keep the same format, template, and have materials on hand, then being out of your classroom can be simple and stress-free! Or at least, less stressful :)

No comments :

Post a Comment