Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Making School Fun

So I'm constantly torn... be stressed and focus on the things that can make you crazy or take it all in stride and do your best to keep things light, fun, and meaningful. There is a certain amount of stress that comes with any job - honestly, with life in general - but teaching is uniquely stressful. I was feeling super swamped last week, all weekend, and yesterday about aaaalll kinds of fun things. Assessments, running, eating, decorating... I mean really stressed. (Like stress-eat a stack of oreos stressed) and then I talked with my de-escalator. Everyone needs a de-escalator in their life, mine happens to by my best friend, fellow teacher, roomie, and sister - shout out to Jackie! She helps me wind down when I'm spinning and I realized that it's within my control to change my attitude. And so I had FUN at WORK and messed up the whole room like a leprechaun came in.

And the kids. Went. Nuts.

It was great! I let them run around, jig, point, explore, laugh and just be kids. I stopped thinking about the assessment we still have to finish and just let them enjoy St. Patrick's day in our classroom. * The best part of the whole thing is that they were 100% certain it could not have been Miss W because she cannot handle messes! Priceless * My OCD helps me pull off surprises without them suspecting a thing.

It's really important that we, as teachers, step back and remember that they are still children and sometimes we can even let them act like it.

 
Our leprechaun left the kids a "treat under their seats" and a St. Patty's day pencil. Simple and fun!

1 comment :

  1. Thanks Kel for the shoutout!! Love the bookmarks. Give them to me, now.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete